Monday 1 October 2012

State of...Responsibility


Good Morning from thousands of feet in the air.  I'm on my way to LA and have some time to dedicate to a new post.  It's long overdue as this is something that has been eating at me for several months if not years.

I know that some of you may say "yeah, come talk to me in a few years when you've been a parent for longer than a cup of coffee"  but I'm going to say it anyways:  There are a lot of irresponsible parents out there.  Before I go on, my heart goes out to the parents who've had to watch as their kids get hurt (or worse) due to their stupidity - only to pass it off as someone else's "fault".

I don't want to use specifics as I don't want to rehash any bad memories for any parents out there...but here is an example of a situation that I heard about on TV over the past year.

Two kids (let's call them young adults) were in the process of taking their relationship to the next level and wanted to capture the moment for a lifetime.  These two young adults thought it would be neat to pose in an extremely dangerous (and stupid) manner.  Commonsense would dictate that one should NOT pose in such a manner, but they did.

I think you know where this is going.  Murphy's Law took over and one of the participating people got into some trouble and wound up dead.  It's horrible.  I feel terrible for the family who lost their sibling/daughter/parent/etc.

But here's the part that gets me.  The family is suing the city for not having a sign that specifically outlined that the dangerous activity was, in fact, dangerous.  Are you friggin' kidding me?  It is NOT the responsibility of McDonalds to let you know that the "hot coffee" is HOT. Just like it's not the city's responsibility to tell people that tightroping over a pool of alligators is dangerous (not what happened).

People - take responsibility for your own actions.  If you have children, teach them what is safe, what is dangerous, and what is common sense.  Don't rely on someone else to parent your kids - BE A PARENT!


Cheers,

LW

No comments:

Post a Comment