Friday 1 April 2011

State of...Royalty


In twenty-eight days, one of the most talked about events of the decade will occur (yes, I realize that the decade is still very young). Prince William and Kate Middleton will tie the knot on April 29th, 2011...and I ask you: Why do you care?

I guess I understand why the folks in England care. It relates a lot more to their lives than anyone in North America, I suppose. But for those Americans - what is the draw? Is it because you don't have a queen or royalty? Is it because Lady Di was such an international celebrity that you've been caught up in the whole royalty-thing ever since? Is it the bad teeth? I just don't get it.

When I think about the wedding (it's almost impossible not to wonder since every U.S. TV station carries a mandatory 4-hour minimum amount of coverage) I find that I'm reminded of one thing: I literally could not care less. Literally. I'm serious. If the wedding were between Billy and Julie and they lived in Prague I would care exactly the same amount as I care about William and Kate. That is to say, NOT A DAMN!!!

Not only is the constant coverage somewhat annoying, it's baffling as to what the draw is. These people carry no political or significant power over anyone in the U.S.. Maybe, one could argue, that there is a small tie for a Canadian - but I'm Canadian and I think that my feelings have been made clear. If they haven't....I DON'T CARE about this wedding. There are just too many other things in my life to care about. In fact, there are more things in one compartment of my life to care about. I could list 50 things in each compartment (work, home, play, family, sleep, etc.) that are more important than what Kate is going to wear on her big day, or what shoes William is going to be sporting.

I wish them the best, just like I would wish anyone getting married the best. Enjoy the moment, try to capture it all in and not worry about the small details. Nobody will notice if things don't go just right, so don't stress about it. At the end of the day it's about committing to your soul mate that you will be with them for the rest of your life, through thick and thin, sickness and health, for richer or poorer. That is what really matters.

I've already spent more attention and time writing this than it deserves. What has it been, maybe 12 minutes? That's 12 minutes that I will NEVER get back. Damn! I raise my glass to a quick next 28 days - may we please get over this soon so we can get back to the other trash that we normally watch on TV.

Cheers,
LW

No comments:

Post a Comment